Opal Lechmanski is shy and quiet but unexpectedly comedic. She swallows swords, eats fire, hangs in the air from the backs of her heels, and can hammer a six-inch nail into her nose.
- Name? Opal Lechmanski
- Age? 34
- Theme song? Sung to the tune of the Indiana Jones theme song: "Indiana Opal Jones, little Opal, birdie bones-owns-owns." My husband made it up off the cuff, but I sing it to myself all the time.
- Signature drink? Water, y'all.
- Great book? The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon.
- Favorite movie? Anything with Katharine Hepburn.
- Dream job? Paleontologist.
- Grandest performance? Sword swallowing in Edinburgh, Scotland in front of an audience that included Charlie Chaplin's grandson.
- Total crush? Sally Rose Monnes. She can break a cinder block with her fist—and she has adorable dimples.
- Hidden talent? I'm really good at parallel parking.
- Weapon of choice? Probably laser-eyes.
- Super power? Quietness.
- Personal hero? Heather Holliday. She's the most amazing sword swallower—and she has adorable dimples.
- Love advice? Be nice to the people you love. Say funny things to them. Buy them food. Wash yourself.
Opal will be performing on February 25 at Ripley's Believe It or Not in Baltimore for World Sword Swallower's Day. Follow her adventures at opallechmanski.com.
Photography by Tristan Williams
Location provided by The Ante Room