Bassist frontwoman, martial artist, and all-around badass, Sally Rose is a force to be reckoned with. Besides her eponymously named group, The Sally Rose Band, she also is one-fourth of the gutter-glam rock outfit Shagwüf, along with Sweet Pete Stallings, Ivan Christopher Christo, and Pablo Olivieri. With a flair for the dramatic and a killer roundhouse kick, Sally decided to show off her wrestling chops for this month’s shoot. Let’s get ready to rumble!
- Age? 25
- Theme song? “You Don't Own Me” by Lesley Gore.
- Signature drink? Greyhound.
- Favorite movie? Tankgirl.
- Perfect vacation? Touring! (Especially when you sneak beach towns in on a summer stretch.)
- Total crush? Kim Deal.
- Inspirational musician? Charles Bradley.
- Hidden talent? Grappling. Wrestling.
- Super power? #FightLikeAGirl
- Personal record? About to drop my seventh record. I've never been so stoked. Shagwüf's ¡Salvaje! is our our blood, bones, sweat, tears, sex, fight, tireless touring, hard work love puppy.
- Know any jokes? What did the zero say to the eight? “Nice belt."
- Secret wish? I'd love to get signed by a proper rock label, like, yesterday.
- Love advice? If you're sweet on someone, take them to a drive-in, buy them nachos, and tell them, "You stink pretty."
Shagwüf is hosting two album release parties for ¡Salvaje! — one on November 25 at The Southern in Charlottesville and another on November 26 at Hardywood Park in Richmond. Stream the album today at shagwuf.com.
Photography by Rich Tarbell