“The Princess of the Burly-cute,” Melody Magpie has been dazzling burlesque audiences since her debut in 2012. Hailing from Richmond, she’s travelled all over the East Coast performing her outrageous routines composed of equal parts Ziegfeld Follies, Charlie Chaplin, and internet cat videos. For this Halloween-inspired shoot, we caught up with her backstage as she picks her trick-or-treating ensemble, but it looks like she’ll need a bit more time to decide!
- Age? 32
- Theme song? “Roam” by The B-52s.
- Signature drink? I usually say something like a gin and tonic, but really it’s Arbor Mist.
- Great book? I'm currently addicted to the comic series Sex Criminals by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky.
- Favorite movie? Little Shop of Horrors. I prefer the director's cut where Audrey II takes over the world.
- Dream job? B-movie actress.
- Total crush? Fox Mulder. I want to believe!
- Hidden talent? I can hoop and play ukulele at the same time (but not very well).
- Weapon of choice? An army of killer bees.
- Super power? I've recently started dabbling in aerial dance, so I am going to say flying!
- Personal record? I once went a whole month without eating sugar. It was awful.
- Personal hero? “Weird Al” Yankovic.
- Know any jokes? What is the best way to get rid of a demon? Exorcise a lot!
Follow all of Melody’s escapades online at melodymagpie.com.