The queen is dead, long live the queen! Earlier this year, the hardest flat trackers this side of the Rappahannock retired the Five 40 Roller Girls moniker and rebranded themselves as Fredericksburg Roller Derby. Now a fully vested WFTDA league member, they’ve got that same killer attitude combined with a new professionalism. We caught up with their two team captains at a recent practice to get a personal look at the new squad.
- Name? Bettie BareKnuckles
- Age? Old enough to know better, young enough to not give a damn (34).
- Theme song? The Imperial March from Star Wars.
- Signature drink? Water (it's the only thing I drink besides beer).
- Athlete role model? Every one of my teammates.
- Dream crush? Chris Pratt.
- Weapon of choice? Humor and a million dollar smile.
- Personal record? I think I hold the league's record for most penalties.
- Know any jokes? I used to work designing calendars; I got fired because I took a few days off.
- Love advice? Stay true to yourself, do no harm, take no shit.
- Name? Mosh Pit Momma
- Age? 27
- Signature drink? Black coffee.
- Great book? Invisible Monster.
- Favorite movie? Mean Girls.
- Athlete role model? Shawn Johnson.
- Dream crush? James Franco.
- Weapon of choice? Kindness.
- Personal record? Ten miles in two hours or so.
- Love advice? To be honest and communicate.
Catch their next home bout against Mason Dixon Roller Derby on June 18 at Golden Skateworld. See the full 2016 schedule at fredericksburgrollerderby.com.
Photography by Stephen Graham