Madelyn Farris, otherwise known as Mermaid Madelyn, is an actress and mermaid-for-hire. Florida-bred and NYC educated, Madelyn saw a serious lack of mermaids in the DMV area and is on a mission to change that. She offers services for both adult and children’s events, the latter optionally incorporating a marine habitat conservation component for educational settings.
- Name? Madelyn Farris
- Age? 25
- Theme song? Right now, it's a song called “God Help The Girl.”
- Signature drink? I make a great blackberry mojito.
- Great book? Yes Please! by Amy Poehler, specifically the audio book. Not only do you get to spend a couple hours listening to Amy Poehler tell you stories, Patrick Stewart also drops by to chat about body image.
- Perfect vacation? Summer on the Isle of Barra.
- Most memorable role? Ophelia, definitely. I've played her twice (and will do so again later this month in a modern Hamlet adaptation).
- Dream crush? David Tennant and Idris Elba.
- Hidden talent? Well, I wouldn't call it "hidden," but my dialect skills are probably my favorite party trick. That, and I can play the ukulele in a backbend.
- Weapon of choice? Words.
- Role model? I really look up to intelligent, strong women in performing arts. Women like Tina Fey, Viola Davis, Amy Poehler, Mindy Kaling, and Emma Thompson. Also, my grandmother, Catherine C. Farris, who was not an artist, but was the most badass person I've ever had the pleasure to know.
- Know any jokes? Where does a mansplainer get his water? From a well, actually.
- Love advice? Oh boy, I'm not sure I'm qualified to give advice. I think the best and maybe most difficult things to be are honest and kind both to your partners and to yourself.
Madelyn will be performing the role of Ophelia in Hamlet is Dead to Me at Artomatic@Frederick in Frederick, MD on May 21 and 28. You can also find her in Coping as part of the Capital Fringe Festival in July. Follow her adventures at madelynfarris.com.