Born in the little medieval village of Wurzburg, Germany, Megan moved to Northern Virginia where, at a very young age, she spent most of her childhood getting in trouble for reading too many fantasy novels. Though she first began experimenting with cosplay back in 2003, it wasn’t until just last year that she started doing it professionally. Using the trade name MegaWatt, she had her official debut at Awesomecon 2014 where she appeared as Emma Frost and a zombie bride wearing her own post-divorce wedding gown. For this shoot, she channeled all of her high school-fueled rage to pay homage to the classic horror flick Carrie. If you want to see MegaWatt in person, you can catch her this month at the New York Comic Con and Comikaze.
- Name? Megan Mattingly (aka MegaWatt)
- Age? 29
- Theme song? “Thus Spoke Zarathustra” from 2001: A Space Odyssey.
- Signature drink? French 75.
- Great book? Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.
- Favorite movie? Ready Player One. It hasn't even been made yet, and that's how excited I am.
- Dream crush? Black Widow.
- Weapon of choice? Smile and a wink.
- Personal record? Reading any of the Wheel of Time books in under a day.
- Role model? Ernest Cline. Just read Ready Player One already. You'll know why (I swear, I'm not being paid).
- Secret wish? That World of Warcraft will enable a virtual reality system and I can actually fly in Azeroth on my cloud serpent.
- Love advice? Date someone as awesome and nerdy as you are!
Follow MegaWatt on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram @megawattcosplay
Photography and Art Direction by Joe Carabeo
Make-up and Hair by Jessie Campbell
Photographed at House Studio
Tiara supplied by Gigi Holiday
Special thanks to Simon Kim